Unbelts is growing - and we're looking for team-spirited doers to help us get there.
CONTENT & COMMUNITY MANAGER
Location: Edmonton (remote applicants considered but must be eligible for Canadian employment)
Posting date: 22 January 2021
Closing date: 16 February 2021
Unbelts is a Shanghai-born, Edmonton-grown business heck-bent on keeping pants up and doing good along the way. The first ethically-manufactured belt to be designed specifically for size- and gender-inclusivity, we are all about moving freely through life without stopping to hitch up your jeans. Our small and mighty team is fuelled by stick-to-itiveness and rock-solid values, and we’ve grown to distribute our zero-bulk, ridiculously comfortable belts to nearly 500 brick-and-mortar retailers across North America and a fast-growing online customer base worldwide.
We use our products to advocate for body positivity, gender inclusivity, and equitable labour practices. Unbelts was Western Canada’s first apparel-industry B Corporation, which means we’re rigorously audited and certified for holding down a triple bottom line that benefits people, planet and profit. Our cloth mask product line, introduced in April 2020, has helped us amplify our community giving initiatives; we have donated over 30,000 masks to schools, non-profit organizations, and individuals in economic need.
We are a strongly-bonded team that’s responsive to the opportunities and challenges that speedy growth brings. We are LGBTQ2S+ and BIPOC-friendly, and are committed to doing the real and continuous work of being a truly inclusive workplace. We invest in the personal and professional development of every team member, and expect that you “own your awesome,” have your co-workers’ backs, and keep us moving towards our shared big-picture vision.
Why We’re Hiring
We’ve been transforming from a scrappy, bootstrappy start-up to a fast-growing brand that’s got big goals. We’ve got some great tools in our toolbox: problem-solving products that delight customers; a values-first origin story and operational strategy; and a loyal community that believes in our vision. Now, we need to tackle data-driven growth of direct-to-consumer sales, using primarily digital marketing tools to drive customer acquisition and conversions… and ultimately build Unbelts’ brand equity. You, a highly experienced self-starter who has a passion for real results, can be a part of it all as our Content & Community Manager.
Reporting to Unbelts’ Marketing Manager, the Content & Community Manager will play a vital role in growing Unbelts’ brand and e-commerce sales through the creation of relevant, engaging content that represents our brand values, voice, and products; you will also publish that content across appropriate channels and platforms.
You will be accountable for:
- Being the voice of Unbelts. You’ll quickly adopt a deep understanding of the Unbelts brand and tone, and an ability to craft copy in that voice for both short- and long-form content.
- Strong storytelling. You’ll use your creative abilities to develop authentic, impactful written content and complementary visuals that resonate with our target markets and tells Unbelts’ story across all digital channels (websites, blog, social media channels, email newsletter, etc.).
- Publishing perfection. From conceptualizing an idea to editing the fine print, you’re a one-person editing and publishing crew who’s allergic to typos and always delivers on tone, grammar, and spelling.
- Telling our visual story. You’ve got a bag of iPhone photography tricks (skilled with a DSLR? Even better) and can efficiently grab brand-aligned photos and videos that elevate our visual online presence.
- Staying ahead of the curve. You’ll track trends, best practices, platform changes/developments, and you’ll be able to keep up with daily and weekly opportunities for time-sensitive content.
- Social media content scheduling and community management. You’ll lead and execute the planning, creation and execution of a social content calendar that aligns with our brand and content strategies, including (but not limited to) product education, brand marketing, product, and editorial stories. You’ll also be responsible for building and engaging with our online community by responding to comments and DMs, as well as forging new connections through relevant social media outreach.
- Supporting our influencer and affiliate programs by identifying and activating authentic, high-value ambassador and affiliate partners. You’ll be responsible for understanding who to connect with, where to find them, and how to engage with them to drive successful partnerships that grow Unbelts’ brand recognition and sales.
- Analyzing results and assessing opportunities by creating performance reports to evaluate what’s working, what’s not, and what needs to change. You’ll act on opportunities for growth and nix those that don’t provide results.
- Effective internal communication and priority management. You’ll be working across teams to make the content we need to meet concurrent business priorities. You’re a great written and verbal communicator who serves up solutions and collaborates well.
- Ability to be flexible, agile, and resourceful. You deliver quality results, even under pressure; you’re motivated by results, and you’re someone who thrives in a highly dynamic environment, unfazed by time constraints or evolving priorities. You ask great questions and you’re comfortable recruiting the info and resources you need to get your job done right.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and ideally TikTok, Pinterest, and LinkedIn) and how content can be leveraged to increase followers, engagement, and ecommerce conversions.
- Experience creating long-form content. You’re able to complement short-form social posts with compelling, long-form blog posts, articles, resources, and guides that resonate with our target audiences.
- Curiosity, empathy, and a sense of humour. You understand that we bring more to our customers than just our products. Your writing is smart, funny, a little irreverent… but you also understand how to convey connection and allyship when we use our platforms to address issues that are bigger than us. You are constantly looking for new ways to tell stories, and you enjoy learning more about our customers and the content that’s meaningful to them.
- Desire to grow. You’re open to feedback, you’ve got the ambition to use it, and you’re able to impart your own feedback fairly and clearly to your teammates, too.
- A post-secondary degree, certificate/diploma, or equivalent experience in communications, journalism, marketing, or related field.
- 3+ years’ experience in content creation, ideally in roles with an increasing amount of responsibility.
- Fluency in Google Suite and reasonable comfort level with Canva, Adobe Creative Suite, and/or other photo editing/light graphic design software.
- A content portfolio demonstrating your copywriting, photography, and video creation skills, ideally showing coordinated cross-channel campaigns.
- Professional-level product photography training
- Paid social media/digital advertising strategy experience
- Experience working in a smaller, high-growth company, especially a lifestyle, apparel, or CPG brand
- Retail and/or customer service experience
What we offer:
- Competitive pay
- Product discounts so you can live the sweatpant life in stretch-waist jeans.
- Support in work-life balance: 3 weeks’ annual vacation (1 week of which will be taken during Unbelts’ annual winter holiday office closure). Flex time to support busy people and busy families. And celebrate your birthday with the day off.
- Participation in Unbelts’ Shared Benefits Plan.
- Quarterly paid volunteer time so you can support your local charity of choice with your time on our tab.
- Quarterly sustainable fashion allowance to support other brands using business as a force for good.
Diversity & inclusion:
Unbelts is an equal opportunity employer; we hire on the basis of merit. Our policy prohibits discrimination based on race, colour, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or any other consideration that is unlawful under federal, provincial, or municipal laws. To uphold a merit-based hiring system, your application will be reviewed by an individual outside of our hiring team who will redact identifying details that do not pertain to your professional experience or abilities.
We strive in every way to create a workplace that not only accepts differences, but encourages authentic self-expression. If you are a member of a community that has experienced barriers to quality employment, please apply.
Remote work & COVID-19:
In the interest of health and safety, all interviews will be conducted remotely via phone or video chat. All Unbelts employees who are not essential to product manufacturing, shipping, or receiving, are required - and will be equipped - to work remotely until COVID-19 protocols change.
This is a full-time, salaried position. Please submit your CV, portfolio, and cover letter to email@example.com.
Looking for a different role? Introduce yourself.
If the above positions don't quite match your skill set but you know you could do great things at (and for) Unbelts, we want to hear from you. Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us in your cover letter how you'd make an impact.